Tuesday, September 17, 2013

If You Fail to Plan, You Plan to Fail

Since my husband has been back from working on the San Francisco Bay Bridge I have noticed how off-schedule I've become.  It's easy when you are alone to keep your own schedule.  I mean, you can go to bed when you want and get up when you want.  But when your VIP is in town you tend to want to do everything together by default.  I don't think there is anything wrong with that but if you aren't on the same page the results can be disastrous.

Every marriage is different.  Every set of people has different personalities.  However, most challenges in marriage are the same.  We do good on being on the same page in general but our approaches are different.  Does that sound familiar?  Well, it's fine to be different but couples do need to pull together enough to accomplish life goals.  This is what we intend to accomplish.  My approach is, let's-get-this-on-paper-and-get-to-it and it seems my husband's is, We-know-what-we-want-and-we'll-do-it-just-wait-until-after-I-finish-this-game.  (I hope that didn't seem terrible of me to say.) 

We all have our ups and downs and my downs has sure wasted enough of my "ups" time.  I've had enough of that robbing my quality-life time.  It's time to get it together or bail! As a matter of fact, I have had a hard time not giving myself a hard time for giving into those blahs.  What a waste!  I'm sure Satan was happy.  At least I have seen the light, at last!

I found some free printable planners that are pretty cute through Pinterest.  Here's the link to the real site: http://www.getbuttonedup.com .  On one of the printable pages was a saying that made a good point about the purpose of planning.  I can't seem to find it now but it was about how planning helps you be more productive.  While listening to "Financial Peace University," by Dave Ramsey ( www.daveramsey.com ) in the car one day, he made a comment about it too.   He said something about it being less important about whether or not you actually follow a plan.  He said it is more about utilization of time.  He said that when you have a plan you save yourself time from thinking, "Well, what do I do now?"  You already know what you want to do from moment to moment.  Always be flexible and allow for life to happen and go to bed satisfied in knowing you did your best and then work your plan the next day.

I also saw something today, it was either a Tweet or an email that said something about planning being a stress relief.  I have never considered that, have you?  It makes total sense!  Having a plan A, B, C, etc, does take the stress out.  Even just one plan can get you far.  You don't have to improvise so much because you have already thought it out.  What a great point!  I'm glad I could see that so I could share it.

I am grateful for plans.  We believe in the Plan of Salvation that God, the Father created for us to ensure our success.  Now that I think about it, that DOES relieve stress.  It's all taken care of.  I just need to enjoy the journey in gratitude.  Even the worst of situations can give us empathy toward things that can help another through a hard time.  There is joy in the journey.  I totally can see it now.  Thank you for plans!

May we all take a few minutes each night to plan for tomorrow.  Then we don't have to waste time wondering what we'll do tomorrow.  Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment